Skip to main content

Year 2011

Year 2011
Lived in- Kentucky, US

It has been year of Firsts..

The year started with us visiting India for the first time after our wedding, almost after 2 years. Its amazing how more the things change, they remain the same. There is something so deeply fulfilling to meet ones family and close friends after a long time, and to pick up conversations as the 8,000 miles never really did matter. I was especially happy to see my nani ( granny) in excellent heath ( knocks on wood) and pray that god bless her with many more happy and healthy years. Grandparents, they are always so loving and adorable and so very important.

Then I and AB inched closer to our dream of home ownership. Yes we did a very adult thing and bought our first house in good ol Bombay. We were nervous and yes the inflow and immediate outflow of salary towards mortgage is draining but I am proud of our self that we stuck to our financial plan i.e have sufficient money for down payment and buy what we truly can afford- no matter what the bankers tell us.

Then R, my younger brother got married, he is lucky to have a beautiful and intelligent wife and I truly wish all the happiness for both of them.
RJ graduated and got his first job. We are all so proud of him that he hung in when thing were tough and god did bless in the end.

I visited AB's hometown for the very first time. Spend some quality time with the in-laws, travelling across India from Delhi to Mathura-Vrindavan then to Agra, Patna, Bodhgaya and Nalanda. I am again very blessed to have wonderful in-laws and hope we as kids give them all the reason to be proud of us.
It was fun spending time with AB's younger cousins, total of 5 and youngest one being all of 3 years old and a complete brat but oh so adorable! Living in joint families have its moments for sure, the big house, the constant chattering and the usual family politics. But it was wonderful how lovingly everyone comes to together when it is important.Papa ( AB's dad) prepared amazing litti-choka, my very first experience and it is clear from where AB has inherited his cooking skills.

Then during the 4th July weekend we visited my uncle’s family in Canada, again a very fun trip to Toronto, Quebec and Montreal. Evening barbecues, the road trips and family chatters, it is so very nice to catch up with family, even if we do once in a year.And then they visited us in States and we again had some very good time exploring the good ol south. 

We bought our very first DSLR and then there was ipad2, my bday gift from dear husband.

Work has been regular at my end, no more or no less. AB did achieve one of his goals and I am proud of him- he started his MBA (part-time) and I am amazed how hard he works and balances work, studies and family so very well. Two more years and he would be done with it. I respect how he makes goals and then work hard towards achieving them, something that I need to do more often.

For the first time,we went fishing and horseback riding.I quite enjoyed both these activities and hope to pursue these once every year.

Then later in the year, we met up with AB’s college friends, I for the first time and he after 7 years. One flew from New York, one from Texas and DC and we all met at the beautiful Gatlinburg, Tennessee. All married and grown up but its amazing when they all sit with some scotch everyone just reminiscence about old college days. We did some trekking, eat amazing food and stayed in a beautiful cottage. Good times and something we all agreed that needs to be done more often

My good friend Jay got married to his long time girlfriend and other two Meghana and Sundaram became parents. Yes, we all are so very grown up now.

I rediscovered sketching after 15 years.

Dad’s business has been following the usual sinusoidal wave and I am glad that he has finally decided to downsize. It has been a stressful ride but looking back I am just thankful that it never stopped and we had a comfortable lifestyle.

It has been an eventful year till now, there are some jitters at workplace, management is planning to sell the company and the layoffs have started. Some people I knew well were let go and the entire situation is just very sad. I have heard there are greater number of layoff planned in next couple of months and its like being in a room where the sword is hanging over your head and it’s only a matter of time when it will fall. All I can do is be prepared and try not to worry about things that I cannot control.
New year is just round the corner, we don’t have any plans but I really want to do something fun this year and my idea of fun is a lil gambling, lil dancing and lots of drinking! 

(update- we celebrated New Year by going to a comedy show at Improv and watched Bryan Callen perform over drinks and good old fashioned American burgers and fries and spuds and Mozilla cheese sticks and chicken wings. Good start.)

New year resolutions-

1. Learn Spanish- don’t know why but I have suddenly got this bug in my head that I need to know one more foreign language 

2. Save more money and work hard towards paying off the mortgage. 

3. Stay employed- funny how things can change perspective 

4. Go to gym 3 times a week. 

5.Learn  one new thing every year

I have a feeling that 2012 is going to be a very important and dramatic year in our lives, hope it’s a good one.

Happy Holidays and wishes for an Amazing and Very Happy New Year to you all!

Comments