Skip to main content

Year 2014

Year 2014-
Lived in: India (33%), Kentucky (25%) and Tennessee (42%), US

Juxtaposed, that's how this year passed. I transcended from being miserable to ecstatic before finally accepting, that in this precious life of mine, I will outlive both- happy and sad times.

I started this year (Feb) by creating www.wonderfulthingshappen.com The primary motivation for building this platform is to find love for those who love differently. Through this project, I have met some really nice women and some real drama queens. It gave me an opportunity to peek into the life-struggles, heartaches, and highs of complete strangers. I realize everyone is hung on this idea of love, real love in the end is going to save us from the life’s storms.

April, May, June, and July were spent in India, fighting my infertility. I underwent laparoscopy, followed by IVF treatment. Those months were the most painful times that almost broke me. I learned the complete hopelessness of the situation. But hope in the modern day science kept me going. After months of medication, countless ultrasounds and taking over 60 injections in 15 days I learned that my first IVF cycle has failed.

Going through an IVF cycle is like having multiple heartbreaks. You are hopeful for a while, until the science gives up on you.

These months were also one of the toughest times for me and AB, as a couple. Long distance, coupled with infertility struggle, tested the foundation of our marriage. For the first time, I seriously contemplated getting a divorce. I felt alone, not understood and completely dejected. Honestly, I could not have gone through what I went through without my ma. In these complete dark times, she was my lighthouse. If I ever get an opportunity to thank god, I will thank him/her for giving me such wonderful parents. It's so silly, this idea that it took me 30 years to realize how much my parents love me.

It wasn’t all gloomy. I met my niece for the first time and realize how much love my heart can hold. She is the most precious thing in this world and I hope she gets to live a healthy and blessed life.

I also used this time to catch up with my friends in Mumbai and read Animal Farm, 1984, Jane Eyre, Norwegian Wood, Ham on Rye, collection of P. G. Woodhouse’s stories, The poetry of Pablo Neruda and some other random books.

The week I learned about the failure of my first IVF cycle, I got accepted into an MBA program.

Jubilated, I immediately returned to US, packed my life in boxes and moved to a new city. The first few weeks in the program were surreal. I am coming back to school after 10 years and there are people in my class who are almost a decade younger to me. I have met some really nice folks and have made a bunch of friends. I have also discovered this crazy competitive streak in me and push myself to be better every day. Not surprisingly, I finished the first semester with a very high GPA and was the third person in my class to get an internship offer. School is going on really well and I am happy how things are working out for me.

Abhi’s work has taken him to a different city, and we both live 2000kms apart. For the first time in my life, I am living alone and honestly I quite like it. I enjoy the sense of independence and not being tied down to chores. Living alone, I give my undivided attention to studies.

I live in a one bedroom hall, kitchen apartment with one mattress and one printer. No TV to distract and no furniture to clean. I have also switched from a brand new Beamer to a pre-used Benz.

In school, I made new friends, attended my first tailgate and school football game (UT v/s Kentucky), had bunch of dinner parties, study sessions, learned to get along with difficult team mates, realized public speaking makes me nervous, and secured an internship with a Fortune 100 retailer.

In December, I was able to fly back to Mumbai and spent couple of weeks with family and catching up with friends. Saw PK with ma and pa, traveled in Mumbai local train (with ma) after almost 10 years and met Pooja's (Tanna) daughter for the first time.

To quote Mr. Dickens, the year 2014 has been the best of times and the worst of times.


I love my life and all the highs and heartbreaks that comes with it.

Comments