Skip to main content

Year 2016

Year 2016-
Lived in: Illinois, US

New city, new job, and new beginnings-

I packed my life in boxes, layered everything in the backseat of my car and bid adieu to an old city to journey onwards. Farewell Knoxville and Hello Chicago!

I have always felt a certain affinity with Chicago, its a city that literally rose from the ashes, something that both I and her have in common. The husband moved from New Jersey and we arrived in Chicago, right in the midst of chilling winter. On our first day, it was about -3C and someone informed me that the city is having a relatively mild winter. Small mercies.

I hung a big orange and white T-flag in my cube. My colleagues think its an indication of my zealous support for our football team, and I smile and pretend it is. But the Tennessee flag means much more to me. Going back to school helped me fight depression, gave me a new purpose, opened new opportunities, and in many ways saved my life and for that I will forever be grateful to UT.

Growing family-
11 days into the new year, I became aunt for a second time to a beautiful and healthy baby girl.

My brother-in-law got married and we travelled to India for his wedding.

Life-
In Jan, we moved into our new apartment and I loved watching the beautiful "village" view of downtown Arlington Heights. Restaurants and movie theaters are walking distance but we don't go out as much as we thought we would. Life is pretty much home-work-home.

Towards the year end, we bought our first house in US. We were searching for about 6 months when we came across a beautiful cul-de-sac.It was love at first sight and we immediately made it ours!

Travel-
We explored near and far away places, took a weekend trip to Indiana Dunes State park. Our biggest adventure was driving across 6 states to see Badlands National Park, Deadwood City in South Dakota, Mount Rushmore, Grand Tetons National Park, and Yellowstone National Park. We covered 3500 miles (almost 6,000 Kms) in 9 days. Undoubtedly the best road trip ever. Yellowstone lives up to its natural wonder, but I am very smitten by the Tetons.

Towards the year end, I travelled to Denver, CO and met my two girlfriends. It was a short weekend trip and we drove to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Love-
Having lived apart for about two years, we are still finding our way back to each other, there are some underlying tensions, which erupts, less frequently now that we are living back together. Marriage is hard work, and so is friendship. I had a very serious disagreement with my best friend of 18 years and I stopped talking to her.

New Learning-
I started learning horse riding and kept at it for about three months. At 33, I was the oldest student (others being anywhere from 5 to 15 years old). I didn't expected it to be so physically demanding, but I felt really happy for those 30 mins. I need to pick this back again!

Random Highlights-

Went to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for summer recruiting and was blown away by the talent, brilliance, and humility of all the students I met there.

CUBS won the World Championship and everyone in the office was super excited/happy. For me, I still don't understand baseball but I sure do appreciate any fan's sentiments.

I participated in a Dragon Boat Race Competition, in which various corporate teams from across Chicagoland participated. We finished 4th (out of the 4 teams) but were awarded 3rd place on some technicality.

Books I read (or partially read)-
  1. The Heart of Buddha's Teaching by Hanh, Thich Nhat
  2. Climbing Everest (partially read)
  3. When Breath Becomes Air
  4. Black, White and Grays in Between (author is a school friend, so I bought this more out of curiosity. It is a well written book)
  5. Free to Choose (partially read)
  6. Road to Serfdom (partially read)
  7. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
  8. Meditations of First Philosophy by Rene Descartes
  9. Into The Wild
  10. The Essential Neruda
  11. Soppy: A Love Story
  12. Chasers of the Light and
  13. All the Words Are Yours  by Tyler Knott Gregson
  14. Love is a Wild Ride by Kim Casali
  15. Blueprint for Revolution by Popovic Srdja
  16. Originals by Adam Grant
  17. Summer Mornings and Summer Night by Ray Bradbury
Resolutions for 2017-
  • Stay healthy and active
  • Stop drinking alcohol for one year
  • Drink at least 2 liters of water everyday




Comments