Skip to main content

Year 2018

Lived: numerous hotels across suburbs of Illinois, and South Carolina

This year will go down as a season of tornados; that uprooted everything, created chaos, and once again taught me how to pick up and put back the pieces, and to move on.

The year started with dewdrops of happiness. My youngest brother in law got married and we visited India for his wedding. Across three weddings in the family, this was the one I enjoyed the most. There was a lightness about everything. From the smallest ceremonies to the wedding itself, the days were filled with happiness. I also took a few days out to visit my nanihal, Allahabad.  After Ashu, there will always be an element of sadness in the lives of everyone he left behind, a shadow that will forever mask some aspect of lives barring happiness to completely touch it.

While back in Mumbai, I spent time with my two little hurricanes, my nieces. They make me realize how simple it is to be happy, how important it is to care, and there is nothing in this world that I wouldn't do to see them smile. As always, I met with my college friends (along with their kids!). Meeting friends and spending a couple of hours gives an illusion that you are still connected, but nothing can be farther from the truth. People don't really connect- no one really talks about things that truly matter. Everything is just on the surface, floating.

We celebrated ma and pa's wedding anniversary, visited Juhu beach, Siddhivinayak temple, and Hare Rama Hare Krishna temple- the usual places. I also learned transcendental meditation along with my papa. The class lasted for four days, but the memory of creating a shared experience with my father will last a lifetime. My dad has always been very short-tempered and I hoped that learning meditation will somehow make him calmer.

Part ii). Coming back to Karmabhoomi-

Every time I return back to US, I am engulfed with an uneasiness about entering back into the country, especially with Mr.Trump running the show now. But surprisingly we had the smoothest possible immigration experience and I was looking forward to reaching home and crashing into my bed. By the time our cab pulled up at home, it was about 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning and the house was covered with at least a couple of inches of snow.

I opened the door and walked into the destruction that my mind simply couldn't comprehend.

The house had turned into one giant waterfall. A water pipe had burst and had made its way from the second level right up to the basement. The ceilings had parted and where there was chandelier now was a waterfall. The walls were peeling, hardwood floors were cracking, and the entire basement was flooded with water. The house looked like tandav just took place.

I immediately raced out and called husband who was still pulling out luggage from the cab.

Then what followed was complete helplessness and a deep sense that we need help. So I raced to all the neighbors, and slowly help started pouring in- whether it was calling the fire department to shut off the utilities, or removing our snow, all our neighbors stopped by to help. That was the day when I was so grateful for random kindness. I was sitting at my neighbor's place, charging our cell phone when her four-year-old son came up with a blanket and gave it to me thinking I would be cold.

Such innocence, amazing kindness, whenever I have met that child he has always given me something- the first time he gave me a cookie, and that day a blanket. Looking back, I learned the importance of helping, with whatever one can.

That incident really broke us. I remember later that day, my husband slipped down the stairs and we just sat there crying. Crying at what troubles have befallen us, and how will we ever rebuilt the place.

What followed was completely gutting down and rebuilding the place. Every single wall, every single floor, everything was completely dismantled. We packed everything in storage, carried only the essentials, and lived in hotels for four to five months.

Dealt with contractors, insurance, eating out- always eating out, suffered bouts of nervousness, helplessness, and always reminded that this too shall pass. Looking back, it was easily one of the top three traumatic events of our lives. And I missed being close to our family like I have never missed before. There is a physiological safety in being near to one's family.

The storm passed, and the house was completely rebuilt by July. We then put it on the market and finally sold it in December. I was tormented about selling the place, and before signing the papers I spent some time conversing with the house and really feeling whether we should sell or stay. On the last day, I slipped down the stairs and broke my little toe. Selling our first place was one of the heartbreaking things we did in our joined lives. I didn't want to sell a place that had so many memories and promises, but then a new opportunity came our way, and we decided to make the most of it.


Part iii) I got my dream job! Somewhere between rebuilding our house, trying to maintain normalcy, I found my dream job. However, it came with the tag of relocating to a new state.

So I packed my life once again and moved to South Carolina. The new job is intense, it is at a higher playing field, it demands the best of me- every single day. It is at a level I have never played at and it takes a lot from me- time, energy, mental peace. But I LOVE it. I have not had this much fun since my first job at a start-up.

Husband and I did "long-distance marriage" again, between Chicago and South Carolina, and we somehow made it work. We always make it work.

While life took us through its crazy, always revolving happiness, and sense of helplessness- we did take time to travel.

Travel-

We traveled to Portland, where we spent time along the coast, watching humpback whales, and exploring quiet beaches. We went to NYC for work, made it a fun trip. Strolled in historic Savannah, and went to Disney Land for hub's birthday. Drove to Pisgah National Forest over the Christmas weekend.

I traveled alone for work to Charleston, Indianapolis, New York/New Jersey, Pennsylvania (too many times).

Random things-

I learned Inner Engineering and read a book about it as well. I am not completely sure if I will be able to sustain what I learned, but for a time it calmed me down.


Quote for 2018-

“In the great tornado of life, things sometimes seem out of control, and we can’t see where we are going. But sometimes, when the storm passes and the dust settles, things have landed into place beautifully.” 


Plans for 2019- no plans, life will happen and I will meet her in all its fury and glory.

Comments